What is it?
MicroPython is a re-implementation of
Python 3 optimised for microcontrollers.
What does it do?
It brings the power and beauty of
Python programming to highly constrained computing
Why is it suddenly everywhere?
It facilitiates simple yet rapid
development on embedded devices. It has powerful features.
It uses a transferable skillset. It has an outstanding
MicroPython is all over EMF
MicroPython is all over the UK
MicroPython is all over the world
MicroPython is on a path into SPACE
(The technical bit...)
MicroPython Coding Style
(Does not follow traditional software
- optimise first;
- creative solutions and tricks;
- sacrifice clarity for smaller code;
- sacrifice efficiency for smaller code;
- use of goto not discouraged;
- optimise to minimise stack usage;
- decisions based on analysis.
(The inspiring bit...)
To see if could be done! (FUN)
Make it easy for people to program
in constrained environments.
1,931 backers pledged £97,803
1,399 backers pledged £28,534
1,000,000 children and an international
team of volunteers
Live DEMO :-)
I only just got mine... let playtime begin
- Improve existing offering (documentation, tutorials, more peripherals, engage with commuity).
- Not just bare metal: works on actual operating systems!
- IoT buzzword compliance. It's much easier to develop in Python than in C.
- Embedding MicroPython within other software (games, mobile apps etc...).
- Industrial use in...
Satellite control layer written in MicroPython
"Asking what sort of education and learning our community
supports is how we decide what sort of community we
For it is through education and learning that we engage
with our future colleagues, friends and supporters."
Nicholas Tollervey, 2015. :-)